Postgraduate Student Checklist
This section indicates what a postgraduate student should expect to have access to in the duration of their studies. If you are unsure about any aspect of these, feel free to contact the FMHS-PGSA at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you prefer, you can download the Postgraduate Student Checklist document by clicking the button below.
- I have a University-issued desktop / laptop. (Even if I am an off-campus student, I can expect the University to courier this to me). [See IT Request QuickGuide].
- I have access to a desk on campus if I want one. [Ask your Supervisor / Lab Manager].
- I have access and I know how to access secured storage on University servers. [See IT Request QuickGuide].
- I know how to access my University licence’s Microsoft 365 software (e.g. Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- I know how to access my Staff Email (e.g. email@example.com).
- I know how to access my Student Email (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
- I have a campus card.
- My campus card allows me to access my desk location / supervisor’s office / laboratory location (if applicable) at University.
- My University email has been added to all the relevant mailing lists (e.g. FMHS Announcements, FMHS Research List, FMHS Junkmail, and my Departmental Graduate Student mailing list). [See IT Requests Quick Guide].
- I know how to spend University-managed funds (e.g. my PReSS account). [See Finances QuickGuide].
- I know how to request IT support. [See IT Requests Quick Guide].
- If I am a scholarship recipient, I know how to request proof-of-income in case I need this information for any financial applications (e.g. rental agreement, credit cards, loans, etc.).
- I know how to print documents via University-owned printers.
- If I am in financial hardship, I know where I can apply for urgent financial aid.
- I know how to obtain my AT Hop public transport tertiary concession.
- I know where the Philson Library is.
- I know where University Health and Counselling Services are and how to access their services.
- I know how to access “Student Services Online”.
- [For Doctoral Students]: I know how to access Wahapū.
- I know how to connect to University WiFi.
- I know how to login to my University work station with Remote Desktop Connection.
- I receive FMHS-PGSA emails.
- (If applicable): I am aware of the support offered by Student Disability Services for students with visible and invisible impairments.
- I know when and where I can access Justice of the Peace (JP) services (e.g. document certification)
- I know about the Career Development and Employability Services (CDES).
- I know about the Library and Learning Services workshops.
How to apply, pay, and get to your conference.
How to use the different options to pay for research costs.
Useful Staff Contacts
Who to contact for help and support.
How to launch IT requests, get a second monitor, and more.
Finding a Supervisor
Steps on how to find a research supervisor.
When Supervision Goes Wrong
What to do when you are having supervisory issues.